The original Buster House Restaurant in the Hotel Revere was named in honor of Eugene "Buster" Pomeroy, son of Edward and Mary Pomeroy and Grandson of Joseph and Martha Pomeroy. To the left is a picture of him at about age six.
The Buster House Restaurant is located in the Historic Hotel Revere. The Hotel Revere Building was built by Mrs. Martha Pomeroy St. George. Martha began her business as a stage stop just out side of present day Dayton, Washington Territory. When she and her husband Joseph moved to the area that is now Pomeroy she began offering overnight accommodations to the stage coach passengers and men traveling to the Idaho Gold Mines in addition to the meals. Initial accommodations were dormitory style bunk house rooms in a cabin that Joseph built.
In 1874, the Pomeroys built a two story wooden hotel building (about three present city blocks to the east) on the site of the the Hotel Revere. At that time the hotel was called "Pomeroy Inn" or "Pom's" for short. The front of the main floor was rented to Koenig's Mercantile, the back portion was the restaurant area, with rooms on the second floor.
In 1880, Martha divorced Joseph Pomeroy and about a year later married Harry St. George. The name of the hotel was changed to the St. George Hotel. In 1886. Harry and Martha proudly completed the brick two story addition to the hotel. Shortly thereafter they sold the hotel to Col. Hunt. We believe it was at this time the hotel changed names to the Hotel Revere although some of the old timers still called it the St. George and always would.
Col. Hunt moved the wooden structure south to the other end of the block and turned it into a "boarding house" and reading room in 1888. The reading room offered a place for women to refresh themselves, read, and relax after the long trip to town. On the site of the old hotel and on the original foundation Col. Hunt built the present day three-story brick hotel building. This new building was completed in August of 1900. Koenig's Mercantile again became a main tenant of the main floor along with a butcher, and the East Washingtonian Newspaper.
Between Col. Hunt's ownership of the hotel and 1999 the hotel was owned by numerous persons. During the 1930s, a section of the third floor was remodeled to provide apartments with the second floors remaining hotel rooms. By the mid-50's, the hotel was primarily a residential hotel.
In the 1920's, Koenig's Mercantile became a "Piggly-Wiggly" self-service grocery. It was apparently the first of this chain in Wasshington State. The 1930's saw the main, northern portion of the 3-story building converted to a Tavern and Pool Hall. "Buster's Cafe" remained in the main floor of the two-story building along with the lobby for the hotel.
NAPA Auto Parts was the last tenant of the hotel, moving out during 1978. From 1978 til 1999, the hotel sat vacant and derelict, suffering the indignity of being sold for a $1 and later being auctioned for $3,000 in tax liens.
John Gordon and his wife Beverly Adams-Gordon, present owners, purchased the hotel and began its historic restoration in 1999. Using no grant money and doing so staying debt-free has made the restoration slow and steady. The back third of the main floor was completed in 2000 and serves as the offices of Castlemoyle Publishing Co. owned by the Gordons. In 2002, they finished the first phase of their private residence on the second floor.
The Hotel Revere was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in August 2004 and the Pomeroy Historic Register in 2007.
Castlemoyle Books had its grand opening in June of 2006. The Buster House Tearoom and shop opened its doors in July of the same year. The tearoom has again become a popular place for people to relax and dine. That concludes this brief history of the Hotel Revere and the Buster House.